Saturday, March 1, 2014

Singapore Sights - Ang Mo Kio and Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park

Ang Mo Kio is a mature public housing estate, i.e. HDB disctrict. It was planned in 1971 as a small residential estate for an industrial site for motor workshops that got relocated from the city. In 1973 it was earmarked to become the 7th housing town in Singapore, with six neighborhoods. The site was covered with hills, swamps, forests and farms. It was planned in a gridiron pattern (main streets run at right angles to each other). It was the first estate to be designed in metric dimension (rather than the imperial system). It was the first to offer 5 room flats. It is the first (and still the only one) to have an HDB with a round/circular plan. And one more piece of trivia: it is not known what Ang Mo Kio stands for, in Hokkien it can mean tomatoes, foreigner's bridge, or concrete bridge.




  
 
 
 

But what I went there to see is located in the Ang Mo Kio Garden West Park. A huge park, even with a little hill, for a huge housing estate. (And other than the one at NTU, this is the first McDonald's I saw, and the absolute first drive-in).

 

Lake.


Steps up the hill.


I really liked the palm trees.

 

What I came to see is called the Bird Singing area. I was searching and searching. I have asked for directions. I even found a sign. And I still couldn't find the place. (I had to use my google friend...)

The place, contrary to expectations is not on the hill. It is at the foot of the hill. This is what it looks like from afar.


Closer up.

 

Ok, I'll tell you. These are poles that you draw bird cages up on to have the birds sing!

Some non-pole bird cages.

 

Owners, with yet more non-pole cages.



These are the poles. Without cages.


And here are the poles with cages!

 

These colorful cloths are the covers of the cages.


And the cages themselves. With the birds. And yes, they WERE singing!


Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park.


The park is around the upper section of Kallang river.



A look over to Ang Mo Kio.

 
 

That would be the river at 3 meters high.


Ang Mo Kio.


I am getting close to the end of this visit, which is at Bishan MRT stations. Two MRT lines meet there - and usually the raised MRT have separate sets of tracks for the two directions.