Saturday, March 1, 2014

Singapore Sights - Geylang

Geylang is yet another district of Singapore that is famous for its eateries. And its prostitutes.

(Important notice. To me Geylang is Geylam, don't ask me why. I tried to cull out my name for the area, but if I haven't caught all of them, be aware that Geylam is a typo, and the correct spelling is Geylang!)

Now, that the covered walkways are not such novelties for me anymore, I could pay attention to other things. These smaller and larger shrines crop up ALL the time in Geylang. I think I saw similar shrines in Little India, but not in Chinatown. Even tough they look very red, have lions and joss sticks. All in all, I don't know which religion they belong to...perhaps not even one.



 


A side street.




An Indian Muslim eatery, where I had a late lunch.


My food. I am sure you can't guess what I ate :) But the drink is my new discovery. I am a teh tarik addict. This is a fact. Teh tarik is hot. Very hot. Not my favorite condition in Singapore out in the streets in broad daylight. But teh tarik with ice!!! It is special!


And one more thing, that I have failed to point out until now (I think). It is very rare that you see knives anywhere. It is highly unlikely to encounter knives at hawker stalls or at eateries like this one. So what do we eat with? The cutlery set is made up of one spoon and one fork! Try using those to eat a whole chicken leg or even a prata, for that matter. I tell you that takes more skill than using chopsticks :)


Frog porridge and seafood!??? I wish it was open!!!








Back porch.


Antique shop.


Temple.


Church.



Religious service, unknown denomination.

 


Museum.




Temple.


Temple.



Temple.


Museum.


 


 



 

Fao Hai Chuan Monastery (beyond the East-West MRT line)





Sri Sivan Temple



Condemned buildings.


Mosque.



Oh and the prostitutes. What I have been looking for I haven't found. I even went back after doing some research and I still did not find the bordellos. I have read that houses in the side streets that have huge numbers are the ones. I haven't found any :(. I did see some girls at one point on Geylang Road, they were waiting in front of very bad looking staircases, obviously waiting for clients. I didn't take a picture...